Sunday, April 8, 2012

Removing Bio-balls - Discussion


You also mentioned to remove the bio-ball media that is in the rear  chamber of my 50 gallon SYS-II. This way my nitrates will decreasedramatically. By doing this what about the bioload in the tank. Do I have to worry about stress to the tank or will my live rock take care of this for me. I am going to add a few more lbs of rock. When I remove the media should I do it all at once or in increments.

You may want to get some more live rock, as I said 1.5 to 1.75 lb per gal of rock or sand for complete
 denitrification. One downside to adding a substantial amount of rock will be a significant cycle that *will* stress the fish.. high ammonia high nitrite temporarily 2 weeks or so. As far as removing the media,
when your confident that you have enough rock and sand per gal, start removing something like 25% per week, that will make a seamless transition of your biological bacteria. 


Simplified Reefkeeping