Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bristleworms Questions and Answers

Bristleworms



 I will be adding a few more lbs. of live rock this weekend and was hoping you could tell me of any way to eliminate those unwanted guests"BRISTLE WORMS" before I add the rock to my display tank. I have heard of a few of ways to do this. One way of course is the trusty old Arrow Crab (I have already in tank), but I am hoping to resolve this before the live rock goes into my display tank. Two other methods I have briefly heard about are: 1) Dip the live rock in fresh
DI/RO water and this will force them out; or 2) Dip the rock in some  carbonated water which the carbon dioxide gas will force them out. Don't know of anybody that has tried these methods yet?
One concern is if these methods will work, what problems might they cause if the live rock is already "CURED". I guess it could kill coraline algae's or anything else which is beneficial for the rock? 

Ok those are bristle worms and a natural occurrence in live rock. They used to be considered bad for the tank as they were thought to eat coral. The new thinking is that they are good and serve a purpose stirring the sand and processing detritus. Im fairly sure these are what you have. They are a pinkish flesh color with whitish fury looking legs those are bristle worms, they can get large!! I have personally seen them 12 inches in length needless to say I got rid of it. Smaller ones do a good service to the tank. Other similar looking worms but different colors deep solid red are fireworms and will give you a very bad sting. These are more unusual to have and I would get rid of them if I had one.
The opinion of bristle worms is changing... especially if you have sand. They are detrivores and do a very good job churning the sand. A few years ago, they were thought to eat corals etc. and its a possibility that they might, but if you use sand it is considered good to have bristle worms.


Do they reproduce in the tank?
yes the reproduce very easily... one other suggestion is to look at the tank after the lights have been off for about 2 hours. Use a flashlight and try not to make vibrations on the floor when you walk. You should see creatures that you do not see during the day.


Simplified Reefkeeping