Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Reef Tank Temperature - Discussion


I am currently running my 125 gallon reef tank at temperature range  between 27.8 - 29.4 degrees centigrade. Is this a bit too hot?

Yes "a bit" is about right. Ideally you want to be around 80 degrees and your temps are 82 -85.85 degrees is about maximum before the animals get stressed
I've tried injecting copious amounts of air into the dry column & have  also installed a ventilating fan with its louvers directing on the water  surface of my sump. In addition, lots of air is also forced on the surface of the aquarium. With all these, I only manage to bring the temp as above.
Humm I wouldn't want to see it without the fans!
I've had a chiller before, but got busted a few times also the noise is irritating. I desperately need some advice on how to keep reef tanks cooler or maybe it will be better if you can suggest on some corals that can  thrive in this temperature.
You don't say
  • how long has it been like this what took place to notice the increased temp
  • how old is the tank
  • how does the tank look (creatures)
  • is this due to seasonal temp swings?
  • where in the world you live (ambient temp)
  • what the room temp is?
  • type of lighting MH ??
  • enclosed hood?
  • if your tank is lit with MH how many watts?
  • and do your creatures need such high light/watage
I would recommend to look into
  • the light/wattage is it needed?
  • use a room air conditioner if the ambient temp is constantly 80 deg or higher.
  • air conditioners work very well
  • improve your fan situation make sure the hood is adequately ventilated
  • 85 deg is max 80 is desired
Yes, you were right about me not providing you enough info on my tank. Anyway, I live in a tropical 'island' (is now a city/country) near the tip of west Malaysia. Pretty high temps here, around 25 - 35 degrees centigrade all year round. I think can't do anything much to lower my reef tank. Maybe, be a bit selective on inverts. Anyway, I find that reef temps in the sea are around 27 - 29 degrees ya know, but I do not see the point of why inverts in our tanks have to be kept at lower temps.
Actually the best advise is common sense. How do the creatures look? That is the BEST indication regardless of what you read or hear. Animals, fish inverts, coral can adapt to a fairly wide range of conditions. The real problem with high temperature is the metabolism of the creature is increased. So it eats more, produces more waste and IMO accelerates its life span. Although if its a hardy animal it will also reproduce more. I really don't like chillers as they are expensive and expensive to run. If you could get a room air conditioner that would definitely bring down the tank temp as well as keeping you cool ;-) 

That's my preference. Actually your tank temps are not that much different the your observations of the sea in your area 



Simplified Reefkeeping