Tuesday, April 10, 2012

New Tank Set-Up...Discussion


1. YOU MENTIONED USING THE MAGNUM WITH NO MEDIUM.  I'M ASSUMING YOU MEAN
NO CHARCOAL -- USING THE FILTER ONLY AS A FILTER FOR BIG CHUNKS AND WATER
 MOVEMENT.  DO YOU NEVER USE CHARCOAL TO CLEAN UP THE WATER?
No I mean *no media* at all. The live rock does all the biological filtering so you don't need a secondary filter! In fact a separate filter will INCREASE your nitrate levels... This is all in  my book.

 2. I'VE ORDERED MY SECOND ICE CAP -- PLUS 4 URL 110W BULBS.  2 ACTINIC WHITE AND 2 ACTINIC 03.  IS THERE SOMEWHERE TO GET MORE INFO ON THESE BULBS.  I'VE READ SOMETHING SOMEWHERE BUT CAN'T FIND IT AND REMEMBER ONLY ENOUGH TO KNOW THERE IS MORE TO THEM THAT I SHOULD KNOW.
That sounds great. Ice cap and URI are a great combination. The most important thing to know is to replace the bulbs in about 6 to 8 months. Other than that its just technicalities that are in my opinion ..un important. For some more info look on my links page for online dealers they should have more info
 
 3.  CHEMICALS.  KALKWASSER -- I NOTE THAT KENT HAS A POWDER ,  I ASSUME THAT I'LL JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PACKAGE.  ANYTHING ELSE I WOULD FIND HELPFUL?

Yes that's good I would follow the instructions in my book though as they are much more detailed. Also an excellent alternative to the high price kalkwasser is simply balls pickle lime. same thing.. calcium hydroxide price difference is about $1.49 for balls... $11.99 for kalkwasser. You will use allot of this
stuff so I would buy a case of balls

LUGOLS IODINE.  I'VE FOUND NOTHING THAT FITS THIS DESCRIPTION -- COULD  YOU GIVE ME A BRAND NAME, OR SOME MORE INFORMATION.
Go to  a pharmacy (not a chain, but a small mom & pop) and ask for lugols solution about 12 a pint will last a life time...some states you need a prescription just tell them what your using it for... a trace element for a reef tank

ESV STRONTIUM -- I'VE FOUND KENT HAS A STRONTIUM, BUT NOTHING ABOUT ESV --
ESV is a brand name of a very good company that produces chemicals for the tank. THey tell you on the label what the concentration is the strontium is about 12 a pint also and will last at least a year see my links for a online dealer

WHAT SHOULD THIS NOVICE KNOW THAT TO OTHERS IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE?
Off the top of my head I would keep it as simple as possible... you don't have to get all caught up as if it were surgery or something... its very easy. And the tank ends up taking care of its self.


Simplified Reefkeeping